Ubuntu-news is about one simple thing - news about Ubuntu GNU/Linux, so you can find them all in one place.

Correcting the Autopano-Sift Hugin Error in 8.10

Hugin is an excellent cross-platform panorama stitcher favored by many users of not only Linux, but also Windows. It’s used to stitch multiple photos taken in succession into one panorama, and includes the ability to manually align stitching points, as well as lens effects, tunnel correction, and blending of edges and colors to make the image as natural as possible.

For Ubuntu 8.10 users, unfortunately, the program fails to work properly due to an error with autopano-sift. The error comes in the form of a warning that appears upon start and won’t allow the images you’ve loaded to be aligned. The solution to this problem at first appears to be a cryptic need for a correct version of autopano-sift; that’s not the case, however, and the solution is so incredibly simple, you won’t believe it would actually work.

Step 1: Open Hugin and navigate to File > Preferences. A new dialogue box will appear. You will see a series of tabs at the top. Choose the tab that says “Autopano”.

Step 2: You will see two lines at the top that say “Autopano-SIFT. Within the top line, erase the parameters it offers and type instead “autopano-complete”. In the second line, erase what it says and enter the parameters “–points %p -o %o %i”.

Step 3: Select the “Apply” button and then the “OK” button. Restart the program and load images. This time, when you press the “Align” button, it should align the images without any errors. If you do get an error, check that the error is indeed about the autopano-sift and not a different error, and that you changed the settings for autopano-SIFT and not the regular autopano.

About the author: Blair Mathis is the Linux expert over at LaptopLogic.com. You can read more of her articles here, or browse the site for laptop news, reviews and how to’s.

17 Responses to “Correcting the Autopano-Sift Hugin Error in 8.10” »

1. Pingback by John Haynes Nathan Haynes Haynes Schwelm | Cantileverbrakes — February 17, 2009 @ 5:57 pm

[...] Nathan Haines : Ubuntu and Bug Jam at SCaLE7X | TaleTil [...]

2. Comment by BobD — February 18, 2009 @ 2:59 pm

Thanks for posting this, I’ve been playing around trying to get this to work, on and off, for months. needless to say, I have no idea now what the default parameters for autopano should be.

Could you or someone please post them?

Thanks
    BD

3. Comment by BobD — February 18, 2009 @ 4:49 pm

After doing some experimenting, I think I know why Autopano will not run on my system. I Refuse to install mono. Apparently Hugin is hard coded to use mono at some point to call autopano. Even after install the C versions of autopano-SIFT and autopano-complete it bombs out at the every end trying to call autopano.

Yes I can run autopano-sift-c from the command line and import the results, but it would be alot nicer to do this from with-in the GUI.

It is disappointing that Hugin has to rely on MS tech.

4. Comment by B. mathis — February 19, 2009 @ 4:51 pm

Hi BobD,

Did you try entering the above parameters? Entering the following into the autopano-sift text fields should correct the problem:

line 1 type: autopano-complete
    line 2 type: -points %p -o %o %i

The error should disappear. If not, perhaps you are receiving a different error. Feel free to post the error message and I’ll see if I can find a solution.

Good Luck!

5. Comment by BobD — February 20, 2009 @ 1:34 pm

Yes, I enter the post parameters, Here is the error. Please note: the Autopano config line below the Autopano-SIFT are blank.

command: autopano-complete –points 10 -o /tmp/ap_resqwLhlL “/home/robert/photos/pano-test/dscf0755.jpg” “/home/robert/photos/pano-test/dscf0756.jpg” “/home/robert/photos/pano-test/dscf0757.jpg” “/home/robert/photos/pano-test/dscf0758.jpg”
    failed with error code: 255

6. Comment by ciruman — February 22, 2009 @ 8:30 pm

Hi,

Did you notice that this page doesn’t allow double minus together? if I writte — (minusminus)as result it returns llongminus, but shoud be – - (minusminus, without spaces). It would be much better if you execute the command on a a terminal and sends the result.

Good luck!

Thank you very much!

7. Comment by Rémy — February 28, 2009 @ 9:19 am

Hi

I tried the above solution to fix the error. Now it’s another error :

command: “autopano-complete” –points 20 -o ap_resyphXwp “/home/lyr/Bureau/IMG_0001.JPG” … “/home/lyr/Bureau/IMG_0010.JPG”
    failed with error code: 1

Any idea ?

8. Comment by Clemens — March 1, 2009 @ 1:12 pm

Thanks a lot.
    @Remy: Note that before “points”, it has to be “minus minus”. Unfortunately, some text editors and apperently the engine running this homepage, translates minus minus to longminus.

So just go back to the preferences dialoge and change the single long minus into two short minuses without a space between them. Worked for me.

Cheers,
    Clemens

9. Comment by Inaxio — March 5, 2009 @ 11:00 pm

Thank you!

I had the same problem.

10. Comment by gerg — March 7, 2009 @ 7:51 am

ha,
    i was getting the error:255 and all that. reinstalled. went bleeding edge and installed the .8 beta.
    still no go.
    i somehow removed autopano and never reinstalled it and that will give you the same error.

11. Comment by BobD — March 11, 2009 @ 1:59 pm

@Clemens
    Thanks for catching the “- – ” issue, that did fix my problem.

Was able to use autopano-c-complete.sh from S. Nowozin to generate control points.

Bob

Sorry for the late reply

12. Comment by w — March 12, 2009 @ 4:45 pm

it seems autopano-complete doesn’t like mixing long (–points) and short (-o) commandline options. replace –points with -p and everything should work ok (at least that’s what made it work for me)

13. Comment by Juanma — April 23, 2009 @ 8:17 am

Thank you!!!

In my hugin versión it appears “–points %p -o %o %i”. I must change “–” with “-” before “points” and It runs

14. Comment by Eric — May 20, 2009 @ 5:06 am

I was getting the “failed with error code: 1″ and I figured out that directories with spaces in the name will cause this error. If your directory has a space in it like “My Pictures” replace it with an underscore or something, like “My_Pictures”

15. Comment by Jackie — July 16, 2009 @ 1:51 pm

Thank you Eric! This problem has been bugging me for quite some time, and your suggestion did the trick. Anyone know if this has been reported upstream?

16. Comment by Tom — August 7, 2009 @ 2:54 am

I had an apostrophe in the folder name where photos were stored, i got rid of it and all good.

17. Comment by Erik — November 4, 2009 @ 3:08 am

I had the same problem, removing the spaces in the name worked like a charm! Furthermore, deleting (in linux that is) the .hugin file can help some of the error 1 problems as well.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI